SOLANO COUNTY, Calif. (BCN) – The California Highway Patrol on Friday arrested a man in connection with a fatal collision that occurred last week in Solano County.
Marcos Manuel Guzman, 47, was initially arrested on suspicion of DUI and driving with a suspended license on March 12.
On Friday, he was rearrested on suspicion of felony hit-and-run and gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated after the CHP linked him to a fatal hit-and-run collision that had occurred on the same night of his initial arrest.
On March 12 at 6:42 p.m., the CHP was notified of a possible DUI driver on Abernathy Road and Mankas Corner Road.
Responding officers located a Lexus with front-end damage on Rockville Road, and the driver, identified as Guzman, was arrested.
At the time, officers were not aware Guzman was involved in a collision with another vehicle.
The next morning, the CHP was notified of a fatal hit-and-run collision that had occurred on Abernathy Road north of Andrews Lane.
The victim, a 60-year-old man, had been riding an ATV when he was struck by a passing vehicle, according to the CHP.
Investigators were able to link the hit-and-run to the damage that had occurred to the suspect’s vehicle.
Guzman, who had been released following his initial arrest, was rearrested on Friday in connection with the fatal hit-and-run.
TOKYO (AP) — A strong earthquake struck Saturday off northern Japan, shaking buildings even in Tokyo and triggering a tsunami advisory for a part of the northern coast. No major damage was reported, but at least three people had minor injuries.
The U.S. Geological Survey put the strength at magnitude 7.0 and depth at 33.5 miles. The shaking started just before 6:10 p.m.
The quake was centered off the coast of Miyagi prefecture, in the country’s rugged northeast, which was heavily damaged during the huge earthquake and tsunami of 2011 that left more than 18,000 people dead.
Japan’s Meteorological Agency issued an advisory for a tsunami up to 1 meter (yard) in height for Miyagi prefecture immediately after the quake, but lifted it about 90 minutes later.
Officials there said there were no immediate reports of damage.
The Fire and Disaster Management Agency said two elderly women in Miyagi prefecture were slightly injured, one who was banged in the head by a door and the other hit the shoulder by furniture. In neighboring Iwate prefecture, a woman in her 50s fell and cut her mouth.
The strong temblor caused a temporary blackout in some areas and suspended bullet train services in the area, according to the East Japan Railway Co.
The Nuclear Regulation Authority said no abnormalities have been detected at nuclear power plants in the region, including the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, which suffered meltdowns in the 2011 quake and tsunami.
Akira Wakimoto, a crisis management official in Tome town in Miyagi prefecture, said he was in his apartment when the quake struck, and felt his room shake for a long time.
In a coastal city of Ofunato, Shotaro Suzuki, a hotel employee, said there was a temporary blackout and elevators stopped briefly, but power has been restored and there were no other problems.
“Our guests seemed worried at first, but they have all returned to their rooms, and our facility seems fine,(asterisk) Suzuki told NHK.
In mid-February, another powerful quake in the region killed one person and left more than 180 injured, though most injuries were minor. The quake damaged roads, train lines and thousands of houses. It also caused minor damage to the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant.
A Japan Meteorological Agency spokesperson, Noriko Kamaya, said in a news conference that Saturday’s quake is considered an aftershock of the 9.0 magnitude quake in 2011. Kamaya urged people to use caution and stay away from the coastline due to possible high waves.
Trademark and Copyright 2021 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
SANTA CLARA, Calif. (AP) — A prominent victims advocate group on Friday urged Santa Clara University in Northern California to release details about unspecified allegations against its president, a Jesuit priest who presided over an inaugural Mass for President Joe Biden and is now under investigation.
The university said Thursday that the Rev. Kevin O’Brien allegedly “exhibited behaviors in adult settings, consisting primarily of conversations, which may be inconsistent with established Jesuit protocols and boundaries.” He is currently on leave from the Catholic university.
The Survivors Network of those Abused by Priests, known as SNAP, released a statement Friday calling on university officials to be more transparent about the accusations “so as to encourage others who may have experienced similar misconduct to come forward.”
“While we appreciate that action has been taken by the Santa Clara board of trustees, we think that the vague statement released by the university does no favors to either the university community or the alleged victims,” the statement said.
Tracey Primrose, spokeswoman for the Jesuits West Province, which is overseeing the investigation, would not elaborate on the allegations in a statement to The Associated Press.
“Jesuits are held to a professional code of conduct, and the Province investigates allegations that may violate or compromise established boundaries,” she said. “As with any organization, the Jesuits West Province has confidentiality practices, which is why I cannot provide any additional information regarding this matter.”
O’Brien gave the service at Cathedral of St. Matthew the Apostle, one of the most prominent Catholic churches in Washington, D.C., in January for Biden, who is the nation’s second Catholic president, before the inauguration ceremony at the U.S. Capitol.
The priest has known Biden for about 15 years, dating back to when he was serving at Georgetown University, and he also presided over services for Biden’s vice presidential inaugurations.
The private Jesuit institution, located in the Silicon Valley, is ranked as one of the top 25 schools for undergraduate teaching nationwide. California Govs. Gavin Newsom and Jerry Brown are among its alumni.
OAKLAND, Calif. (KRON) – 12-years-ago, a traffic stop of a parolee with a no-bail-warrant for his arrest leads to the shooting deaths of four Oakland police officers.
The incident stands as one of the deadliest shootings of police in the country and the deadliest day for the Oakland Police Department.
Oakland’s new police chief LeRonne Armstrong was a rank-and-file officer that day in March 2009.
As the anniversary of the deadly day looms, KRON4’s Haaziq Madyun spoke with Chief Armstrong in a one-on-one exclusive virtual interview you will only see here.
March 21, 2009, is a day that the city of Oakland and the Oakland Police Department will never forget.
It is when three police sergeants and one OPD officer were gunned down by a wanted felon.
“It is one of the responsibilities as a chief now that weighs on you every day. The possibility that something like this could happen,” Chief LeRonne Armstrong said.
As the 12th anniversary of the solemn event draws near, Chief LeRonne Armstrong shares his thoughts about the deadliest day in the history of the Oakland Police Department.
“I have a picture in my office of the day of the funeral. It is a constant reminder of the devastation that you feel when you experience such a tragedy. A loss to families. A loss for loved ones. A loss for friends. A loss for our community,” Armstrong said.
“I was not originally on duty that day but I received a call for an emergency response and I responded as the incident was continuing to evolve. I did respond to the scene and just remember such sadness,” he continued.
“I knew Mark Dunakin the best. He was first on the scene on March 21st,” Father Jayson Landeza said.
Oakland Police Department Chaplin Father Jayson Landeza recalls being at Highland Hospital when he received that heart-wrenching call.
“What I remember most is when I was at Highland we were listening to the department radio and then we heard, in Oakland police code, 940B which means send all units. As you bring this up Haaziq it brings back to that day itself and, there isn’t a moment where many of us associated with events of those times don’t feel some profound emotions about what we experienced that day,” Landeza said.
“It’s difficult for all of us. I have been a Roman Catholic Priest for 33-years and. It is always difficult for us to explain the sudden loss of life and whether there is any rhyme or reason to it. It is always a continuing reminder of the fragility of life. For me it’s always a sense of my life and the lives of my loved ones could be taken at any time and so, being able to express that love and be present to our loved ones in a way that reflects the fragile nature of us all. Also be reminded that there are members of our community who make sacrifices on behalf of the community, who in essence, lay their lives down for the protection and well-being of our community. Those losses need to be recognized and remembered too,” Landeza continued.
On Police Chief LeRonne Armstrong’s watch they will be remembered.
“Sergeant Ervin Romans. Sergeant Daniel Sakai. Sergeant Mark Dunakin, and Officer John Hege. All 53-names on the wall who have made the ultimate sacrifice, they are always members of the OPD family and will be honored by this department and the city of Oakland,” Armstrong said.
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – Along with supply shortages, there are questions being raised over how effective the state’s vaccine distribution plan really is.
Health experts say there have been some stumbles when it comes to getting people vaccinated but even though California might seem like it’s falling behind other states when it comes to distribution, they say our size and population make us unique.
California is ranking near the bottom when it comes to vaccine equity, says a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Earlier this month, the state announced it was setting aside 40 percent of vaccine doses for the hardest-hit communities and most vulnerable populations.
Despite that ranking, Governor Newsom on Friday praised how the state is doing so far.
“Well, I’m very proud of the work we’re doing on equity. No other state in the country is doing that and it goes deep to the conversation we’re having today. The issue of equity, so, we’re not going to back off on that commitment,” Newsom said.
Health experts note it’s important to keep in mind the size and diversity of California when comparing vaccination success to other states.
UCSF professor and infectious disease specialist Dr. Peter Chin-Hong says California is complex.
“Of course when you look at North Dakota, or New Mexico or Alaska we’re going to look really bad,” Dr. Chin-Hong said.
Part of the frustration with the vaccine rollout comes from who has been prioritized and how slowly we appear to be advancing.
Dr. Chin-Hong says a vaccination program of this scale has never been done before and the biggest problem is supply, not strategy.
“I feel like we could still be doing a lot better at this point mainly because of the hurdles we had to overcome in the beginning when it was really rocky and where the expectations set by many of the leaders were not the reality on the ground. I think right now they are,” Dr. Chin-Hong said.
Dr. Chin-Hong is proud of how California is doing in terms of vaccinating the vulnerable 65+ age group and how the state is at least looking at equity.
“Making sure that all communities have access to the vaccine even though we’re limited in number right now and that means our most vulnerable and disadvantaged communities regardless of race and ethnicity in the poorest areas of our state,” Dr. Chin-Hong said.
Governor Newsom has argued the 40% overlay for hard-hit communities should continue because he says it’s the right thing to do.
He says in-order for economic recovery to move forward those underserved communities need to continue to be the focus.
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — An Asian man severely beaten on San Francisco’s Market Street this week is speaking out.
It’s one of several violent attacks on Asian Americans that is generating outrage.
KRON4’s Maureen Kelly spoke to the man about his horrifying experience.
“He beat me so bad.”
The 59-year-old Vallejo man’s injuries are starting to improve slightly after the assault.
Photos show how he looked soon after the vicious beating. His eyes were blackened and swollen shut, after what what police are calling unprovoked attack.
At 2 p.m. Monday, the travel agent was walking on Market Street at New Montgomery on his lunch break on his first day back at the office after working remotely during the pandemic — when he was jumped from behind.
Police say the person who did this had just slashed the face a 64-year-old white man at the 16th Street BART Station just a half hour before.
The next day, police arrested 32-year-old Jorge Devis-Milton. He has been charged with six felonies including aggravated mayhem.
Yu Chang Who is of Chinese and Filipino heritage, making him one of the latest victim of several high profile attacks on Asian Americans.
Tuesday, eight people, mostly Asian women, were gunned down near Atlanta. And there have been several violent even deadly attacks on Asian seniors in the Bay Area.
Yu Chang on Friday made a plea for peace.
The alleged attacker is in custody. He is set to be arraigned Monday morning.
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KRON) — A local TikToker is organizing a rally this weekend to condemn the recent attacks against the Asian American community.
Adam Juratovac, an attorney, community activist and TikTok user announced the #StopAsianHate community rally at San Jose City Hall on Sunday.
The rally is set to begin at 1 p.m.
Organizers are asking community members to wear black to promote solidarity to survivors and victims of the acts of hate.
More than 200 people have confirmed they will attend the rally, per EventBrite.
Rally speakers include:
Eric J. Chang: Deputy Attorney General, California Department of Justice*; Board Member – Asian Pacific Islander American Public Affairs Association
Yvonne Y. Kwan: Assistant Professor of Asian American Studies, Former Director of the Ethnic Studies Collaborative, Former Co-Chair of the APIDA Task Force, San Jose State University; Conference Organizer, 2021 Southeast Asian American Studies Conference.
Adam S. Juratovac: Attorney; President, Santa Clara County Bar Association Barristers; Board of Trustees, Santa Clara County Bar Association; Member, Asian Pacific American Bar Association – Silicon Valley; Former San Jose Saber Cat.
Mike Honda: Former U.S. Congressman
Soma de Bourbon: Assistant Professor, Sociology and Interdisciplinary Social Sciences at San Jose State University
Alex Spielmann: Spoken Word Poet; De Anza College Student
SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) – Amid a wave of violent attacks on Asian Americans in the Bay Area and across the nation, California Governor Gavin Newsom met with Asian American and Pacific Islander community leaders in San Francisco Friday afternoon to condemn the acts and commit to working with them to combat racism.
“The acts of violence and bigotry impact all of us because we are all part of one community,” Newsom said.
The governor met with leaders to discuss how the state can help curb the escalating number of attacks on that community.
“How we ensure preventing these incidents with community-based policing, how we ensure real investigations, how ensure putting victims and survivors first,” State Assemblyman David Chiu, D-San Francisco, said.
Attacks on the Asian American community have been going on for decades but community members said over the last 12 months there have been close to 1,700 verbal and physical attacks in California which has put this segment of the community on edge.
“We have schools reopening where parents are careful children will be bullied and encounter racism, we have private businesses’ worried if they are Asian owned and have Asian employees will they be targeted,” Cynthia Choi, with Chinese for Affirmative Action, said.
The governor pledged the state would take an active role in curbing the hate.
“We have to do more and demand better from everyone, it is not just about the Asian American community, it’s about who we are and what we represent. It should impact all of us, our lives are diminished, we have a responsibility to do more,” Governor Gavin Newsom said.
Community members also indicated that some 90% of these attacks don’t fit the legal definition of a hate crime which is why they plan to ask the department of justice to begin tracking hate attacks as well as hate crimes.