SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — Five major Bay Area food banks are calling on the public to help after all the nonprofits reported “alarming” volunteer shortages in their warehouses and at their food distribution sites.
The food banks, who serve 12 Northern California counties, said that while volunteer rates at sites traditionally slow down slightly between the months of January through March following the busy holiday season, this year’s drop has been more “sudden and extreme” as employers, schools, and community groups reinstate stay-at-home policies.
“Volunteers are critical for Bay Area Food Banks who estimate they are still serving about a million people every month,” said a press release.
“Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, Alameda County Community Food Bank, San Francisco Marin Food Bank are also reporting an increase in requests for home delivery of free groceries as more community members are forced to isolate due to exposure or illness from the latest Omicron variant.”
How to help
Individuals and groups are encouraged to volunteer to sort and box food at your local food bank’s warehouse or help handing out food at distribution sites located throughout our local food bank’s service area.
Alameda County Community Food Bank, Second Harvest of Silicon Valley and San Francisco Marin Food Bank are also in need of grocery delivery volunteers.
To volunteer, you must be in good health and follow safety protocols in place at each food bank.
Visit your local food bank’s website to sign-up and help.
Alameda County Community Food Bank
- Counties Served: Alameda
- Volunteer Sign-up: accfb.org/volunteer
- Media Contact: Michael Altfest firstname.lastname@example.org
Food Bank of Contra Costa Solano
- Counties Served: Contra Costa and Solano counties
- Volunteer Sign-up: https://volunteer.foodbankccs.org
- Media Contact: Cassidie Bates email@example.com
Redwood Empire Food Bank
- Counties Served: Sonoma, Lake, Mendocino, Humboldt, and Del Norte counties
- Volunteer Sign-up: http://refb.org/volunteer
- Media Contact: Rachelle Mesheau firstname.lastname@example.org
San Francisco Marin Food Bank
- Counties Served: San Francisco and Marin counties
- Volunteer Sign-up: https://www.sfmfoodbank.org/volunteer/
- Media Contact: Pamela Wellner email@example.com
Second Harvest of Silicon Valley
- Counties Served: Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties
- Volunteer Sign-up: https://www.shfb.org/give-help/volunteer/volunteer-urgent/
- Media Contact: Diane Baker Hayward firstname.lastname@example.org